One of the blessings with which the Muslim nation has been endowed is the day of Jumu’ah or Friday. Friday is a very important day for Muslims. It is more significant and more beneficial than any other day of the week. Jumu’ah prayer, which is one of the obligatory acts in Islam and one of the great gatherings of the Muslims. Giving in charity during this day is more virtuous than any other day. The Messenger of Allah said:
“The best day the sun rises over is Friday; on it Allah created Adam. On it, he was made to enter paradise, on it he was expelled from it, and the Last Hour will take place on no other day than Friday.”(Tirmidhi)
A believer’s entire life is one of worship; even celebrations are conducted as worship. Imaam Ibn Katheer, said, “It was named Jumu’ah because it is derived from the word Al-Jam’ in Arabic which means to gather, as Muslims gather on this day every week, and Allah has commanded the believers to gather for His worship, as He says that which means: Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِذَا نُودِيَ لِلصَّلَاةِ مِن يَوْمِ الْجُمُعَةِ فَاسْعَوْا إِلَىٰ ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ وَذَرُوا الْبَيْعَ ذَٰلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
“O you who believe! When (the) call is made for (the) prayer on (the) day (of) Friday, then hasten to (the) remembrance (of) Allah and leave the business. That (is) better for you, if you know.” (Surah Al-Jumu’ah, 62: 9)
It is the day that Muslims gather together to pray in congregation. Directly before the prayer, they listen to a lecture designed to empower them with valuable knowledge about God, and the religion of Islam. It is a blessed day that has been designated as such by God, Almighty; no other day of the week shares its virtues. While there is no special place or special time to worship God, there are moments, days, or times that God has made more superior; Friday is one of those times. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَوْفُوا بِالْعُقُودِ أُحِلَّتْ لَكُم بَهِيمَةُ الْأَنْعَامِ إِلَّا مَا يُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْكُمْ غَيْرَ مُحِلِّي الصَّيْدِ وَأَنتُمْ حُرُمٌ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَحْكُمُ مَا يُرِيدُ
“O you who believe! Fulfil the contracts. Are made lawful for you the quadruped (of) the grazing livestock except what is recited on you, not being permitted (to) hunt while you (are in) Ihram. Indeed, Allah decrees what He wills. ” (Surah Al-Ma’idah, 5:1)
As we know the congregation prayers are strongly emphasized in the religion of Islam, so it is the Day on which Muslims in a large amount as compared to other days gather together for the Friday Prayer. In the Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says about Friday Prayer in a way that: The Holy Prophet (SAW) said:
“The best day the sun rises over is Friday; on it Allah created Adam. On it, he was made to enter paradise, on it he was expelled from it, and the Last Hour will take place on no other day than Friday” (Tirmidhi).
Friday is a special day; performing the congregational prayer on this day holds special significance in the life of a Muslim. Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) used to wear clean and new (washed) clothes, used to take bath, used fragrance and also wear surmah for this day that is Friday.
Preparations for Jummah Prayer
Cleansing is known as the half faith of Muslim in the religion of Islam. It is obligatory on every Muslim to be clean before offering prayer. There are some preparations that every Muslim should prepare for Friday prayer before going to the mosque.
- The first act to start with is to get purified by having a shower and also ablution should be performed.
- Dress in clean clothes.
- The application of It (Perfume) is also one of the main things or you can apply Surma in your eyes as well.
- Maintaining dignity and not talking between the prayers is a kind of etiquette one should follow.
- Try to sit close to Imam If there is a place in the front rows of the Imam.
- A person should avoid stepping over people to get a particular spot in the mosque. Try to sit where you find a place don’t disturb others.
Good Deeds of Friday
There are some good deeds that you should perform on this blessed day are mentioned below:
- Leaving early from the house towards the mosque and waiting in the mosque for the prayers to begin is one of the good deeds that Allah likes the most
- Give away alms to the poor and give charity in the name of Allah is considered to be a noble act.
- Greet your parents and take their blessings.
- Recitation of Surah Kahf on Friday has great reward and blessings.
- Listening to Friday Sermon is considered from one of the good deeds.
Blessings and Virtues of Friday Prayer
There are many benefits and virtues regarding Jummah Prayer some of them we will discuss below:
- According to Prophet Muhammad (SAW): “Whoever reads Surah Kahf on Fridays, there will be a bright light to shine for him between the two Fridays.” (Nasai). From this hadith, we can conclude that there is an encouragement of recitation of Surah Kahf on the Day of Friday. The recitation of this Surah helps a Muslim seek the refuge of Allah and affirms their faith in the support and assistance He provides.
- Despite the fact that every Muslim should supplicate whenever he or she finds chance any day of the week, however, special days like Friday call for the special or excessive need of supplication. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said in a hadith: “There is no day more virtuous than Friday. There is such an hour in this day that no Muslim will make dua in it except that his dua will be accepted. And he does not seek protection from anything except that Allah will grant him protection.”(Tirmidhi)
- Listen to Khutba or Sermon on Friday Prayer attentively. With regards to the Khutba of Friday, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “If anyone performs Wudu (ablution) properly, then comes to the Friday prayer, listens to the Khutba attentively and keeps silent, his (minor) sins between the Friday and the following Friday will be forgiven, with the addition of three more days; but he who touches pebbles has caused an interruption.” (Muslim)
- Recitation of Surah Jummah has many blessings. This Surah is recited especially on this day as many times you can, as it increases your rewards and forgives sins.
- The day of jummah includes an hour during which all supplications are accepted. Prophet (SAW) said: “On (the day of) Jummah is an hour during which Allah gives to a Muslim servant standing in prayer whatever he asks for.” (Al Bukhari)
- Hell is fired-up during every day of the week except Friday, as a mark of honour and respect for the day of Friday.
- Dying on Friday, during the day or night, is a sign of a good end, for the one who dies on that day will be protected from the trial of the grave.
- The believers will see their Lord from Paradise on Friday. In the Holy Quran Allah says: “Allah will appear to them on the day of Jummah.” (Quran, 50:35)
فَإِذَا قُضِيَتِ الصَّلَاةُ فَانتَشِرُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَابْتَغُوا مِن فَضْلِ اللَّهِ وَاذْكُرُوا اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا لَّعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ
“Then when is concluded the prayer, then disperse in the land and seek from (the) Bounty of Allah, and remember Allah much so that you may succeed.” (Surah Al-Jumu`ah 62:10)
Friday is the most blessed days of the week in the Islamic religion. Therefore, in order to observe this day in a rightful manner, a Muslim must make sure that he or she makes special preparations that make this day stand apart from the rest of the days of the week. Friday is a day of congregation, a day of celebration and a day of supplication. May Allah give us the chance to offer Friday Prayer regularly so that we can get all its blessings and rewards! Ameen.