Happiness is a mental state of well being characterized pleasant emotions which are ranging from satisfaction to extreme comfort. Inner peace is for most of our lives very elusive; we never seem to get our hands on it. If we are thankful, Allah will give us more and more of everything that we have and even more. As a human being, we desire the inner peace of heart and happiness in our lives. Allah says:
وَإِن جَنَحُوا لِلسَّلْمِ فَاجْنَحْ لَهَا وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ
“If the enemy inclines to peace, then incline to it also and rely upon Allah. Verily, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing.” (Surah Al-Anfal 8:61)
Islam means “Submission to Allah Almighty” with respect. We need to understand that peace is not something that will exist in this world around us because when we define peace according to the dictionary definition it states that peace is freedom from war or civil strife. When one expects nothing, everything they get is a source of pleasure, and everything they do not get is not that troublesome. Allah says:
قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ
Say, “O Those who have transgressed against themselves, (do), not despair of (the) Mercy (of) Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives sins all. Indeed He, He (is) the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.” (Surah Az-Zumar 39:53)
Islam is vital for understanding the relationship between inner peace and happiness. Complete submission to Allah Almighty Leads to inner peace. Real happiness and peace can be found in submitting to the commands of the Creator and the Sustainer of this world. True peace, both internally and externally, can only be achieved by the correct implementation of Islam. Allah says:
لَّقَدْ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ إِذْ يُبَايِعُونَكَ تَحْتَ الشَّجَرَةِ فَعَلِمَ مَا فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ فَأَنزَلَ السَّكِينَةَ عَلَيْهِمْ وَأَثَابَهُمْ فَتْحًا قَرِيبًا
“Certainly, Allah was pleased with the believers when they pledged allegiance to you under the tree, and He knew what (was) in their hearts, so He sent down the tranquillity upon them and rewarded them (with) a victory near.” (Surah Al-Fath 48:18)
Allah does not become disinterested until you do, and indeed the most beloved of works to Allah are those that are most constant, no matter how small they might be. He will keep increasing us, and it will also be in the form of our tranquillity. We need to understand that peace is not something that will exist in this world around us.
Here are some happiness and inner peace in Islam:
- Inner peace is freedom of thought and religion are paramount
- Inner peace serve and maintain relations with others
- Inner peace make effort and leave the rest to Allah
- Inner peace is to pray no matter how hard it gets
- Inner peace is nothing in this world lasts forever
- Inner peace brings about a complete calmness
- Inner peace avoid to worldly comparisons
- Inner peace is content with Allah’s Decree
- Inner peace is read the Quran regularly
- Inner peace is the Cornerstone
- Inner peace brings the reality of this life
- Inner peace seek the Pleasure of Allah
- Inner peace is thankful to Allah Almighty
- Inner peace is asking for help from Allah
- Inner peace understand the majesty of Allah
- Inner peace gives a person a clear perspective
- Inner peace emphasizes both evidence and faith
- Inner peace teaches that God is the Most Justice
- Inner peace compete with each other in doing good
- Inner peace has the right to life is an absolute value
Life seems much more than these petty issues. One learns to forgive those who hurt them, cherish those who love them, and to subdue the ego, because what use is ego for one who is going to be worm buffet six feet under the ground two days later? If we are thankful, Allah will give us more and more of everything that we have and even more. He will keep increasing us, and it will also be in the form of our tranquillity. Allah says:
وَسَارِعُوا إِلَىٰ مَغْفِرَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَجَنَّةٍ عَرْضُهَا السَّمَاوَاتُ وَالْأَرْضُ أُعِدَّتْ لِلْمُتَّقِينَ
“And hasten to forgiveness from your Lord and a Garden – its width (is like that of) the heavens and the earth prepared for the pious.” (Surah Al ‘Imran 3:133)
Inner peace is the source of all peace. When a person is in harmony with himself, he can live in harmony with others. In the Quran, we encounter the word “self” being used in the context of a group of people. Indeed. Inner peace requires that a person’s relationship with himself is clear and that his goals and objectives are understood and at harmony with his inner being. Allah says:
فَلَا تَهِنُوا وَتَدْعُوا إِلَى السَّلْمِ وَأَنتُمُ الْأَعْلَوْنَ وَاللَّهُ مَعَكُمْ وَلَن يَتِرَكُمْ أَعْمَالَكُمْ
“So (do) not weaken and call for peace while you (are) superior, and Allah (is) with you and never will deprive you (of) your deeds.” (Surah Muhammad 47:35)
Inner peace is for most of our lives very elusive; we never seem to get our hands on it. Many of us mistake personal pleasures for inner peace; we achieve elements of pleasure from a variety of things. Islamic Law takes a person’s nature into account and often legislates by it without blame or reproach.
May Allah make us people who are tranquil in life, and tranquil in death:
- Understand the Majesty of Allah: Understand who Allah is, and how great He is.
- Understand the Reality of this Life: When we know that life is more than just the “bling-bling” that we see, we understand that at all times our focus should be forward-thinking.
- Remembering Allah at all times helps us keep our focus: Human beings are prone to forgetfulness and the constant remembrance of Allah reminds us of Allah at all times and places.
- Be Thankful: We should be thankful to Allah Almighty for everything. The more we thankful to Allah the more Allah (SWT) will happy and He will shower His bounties on us. Thanking Allah Almighty is indeed an act of worship.
- Be Content with Allah’s Decree: One of the best roads to tranquillity is being contented with Allah. It is in understanding that no matter what happens to us, Allah’s plan is best.
Allah’s decree is Divine, and not always understandable to us in the here and now. Only when we look back do we understand how Allah’s plan was perfect. Allah’s plan for us is the best for us, and knowing that makes life incredibly peaceful.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “In the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.” (Quran 13:28)
- “For them will be a Home of Peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend because they practised (righteousness).” (Surah Al-Anam, 127)
- “If ye call them to guidance, they will not obey: For you, it is the same whether ye call them or ye hold your Peace!” (Surah Al-Araf, 193)
- “But whoever turns away from the Quran,1 he will have a hard life, and We will raise him blind on the Day of Judgment.” (Quran, 20:124)
- “O tranquil soul, return to your Lord, pleased and pleasing to Him. Enter My Garden, Enter my Paradise.” (Quran 89:26-30)
- “When the Quran is read, listen to it with attention, and hold your peace: that ye may receive Mercy.” (Surah Al-Araf, 204)
Islam brings about a complete calmness and peace of mind that is the result of realizing that one believing and acting by the guidance of one’s Creator. This internal peace can then spread to the family, the community, the society and the world as a whole. Allah says:
يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ قَدْ جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولُنَا يُبَيِّنُ لَكُمْ كَثِيرًا مِّمَّا كُنتُمْ تُخْفُونَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَيَعْفُو عَن كَثِيرٍ قَدْ جَاءَكُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ نُورٌ وَكِتَابٌ مُّبِينٌ
“O People (of) the Book! Surely has come to you Our Messenger making clear to you much of what you used to conceal of the Scripture and overlooking much. Surely has come to you from Allah a light and a clear Book.” (Surah Al-Ma’idah, 5:15-16)
Our submission should be to our principle and values in our heart, the values by which we relate to our Lord, and according to which we should speak and act. These true and established values should be the basis of our conduct. One aspect of inner peace is for our inner selves to be in harmony with our outward conduct. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِينٌ
“O you who believe[d]! Enter in submission/Islam completely, and (do) not follow footsteps (of) the Shaitaan. Indeed, he (is) for you an enemy open.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:208)
Inner peace is what we call towards. No one of us can expect the whole world to respond positively to what he advocates, nor is it right that it should. We must be at peace with what Allah decrees for us, though we should seek by way of Allah’s decree to avoid the harm of Allah’s degree this did not even happen for Allah’s select Messengers. Whatever one of us works for, there is always someone else working to the contrary and who may obliterate our achievements.