Islam encourages a believer to be in a physically and spiritually clean state all the time. To perform wudu, a Muslim first cleans their hands. Wudhu – is the specific method of washing yourself before you pray. It was taught by our Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) after he came back from Mi’raj.
وَاذْكُرُوا نِعْمَةَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ وَمِيثَاقَهُ الَّذِي وَاثَقَكُم بِهِ إِذْ قُلْتُمْ سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ بِذَاتِ الصُّدُورِ
“And remember (the) Favor (of) Allah upon you and His covenant which He bound you with [it] when you said, “We heard and we obeyed;” and consciously revere Allah. Indeed, Allah (is) All-Knower of what (is in) the breasts.” (Surah Al-Ma`idah 5:7)
What is Wudu?
Wudu is a special wash that you perform with water before we pray and read the Holy Qur’an.
Why do we do have to make Wudu?
A common question on all kids’ lips is “why!” The simple answer is because Allah told us in the Holy Quran.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِذَا قُمْتُمْ إِلَى الصَّلَاةِ فَاغْسِلُوا وُجُوهَكُمْ وَأَيْدِيَكُمْ إِلَى الْمَرَافِقِ وَامْسَحُوا بِرُءُوسِكُمْ وَأَرْجُلَكُمْ إِلَى الْكَعْبَيْنِ وَإِن كُنتُمْ جُنُبًا فَاطَّهَّرُوا وَإِن كُنتُم مَّرْضَىٰ أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ أَوْ جَاءَ أَحَدٌ مِّنكُم مِّنَ الْغَائِطِ أَوْ لَامَسْتُمُ النِّسَاءَ فَلَمْ تَجِدُوا مَاءً فَتَيَمَّمُوا صَعِيدًا طَيِّبًا فَامْسَحُوا بِوُجُوهِكُمْ وَأَيْدِيكُم مِّنْهُ مَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيَجْعَلَ عَلَيْكُم مِّنْ حَرَجٍ وَلَٰكِن يُرِيدُ لِيُطَهِّرَكُمْ وَلِيُتِمَّ نِعْمَتَهُ عَلَيْكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ
“O you who believe! When you stand up for the prayer, then wash your faces and your hands till the elbows and wipe your heads and your feet till the ankles. But if you are (in) a state of ceremonial imp then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or has come anyone of you from the toilet or has (had) contact (with) the women and not you find water, then do (with) earth clean, then wipe your faces and your hands with it. Allah (does) not intend to make for you any difficulty but He intends to purify you and to complete His Favor upon you so that you may (be) grateful.” (Surah Al-Maa’idah 5:6)
Another benefit of Wudu is that it also teaches cleanliness, which is also very important for growing children. Our Prophet Muhammad (SWS) said, “Cleanliness is half of the faith…” (Sahih Muslim).
So here are the 10 simple steps to make Wudu!
It’s important that you do the following steps in order… but before you start you should make an intention to make Wudu…you can do this by whispering to your heart …”I am going to make Wudu!”…Ok let’s begin…
- Begin by saying: Bismillah
- Completely Wash your hands including your wrist and between the fingers…do this 3 times
- Put water into your mouth with the right hand, swirl it around in your mouth and then spit it out…do this 3 times
- Sniff water into your nose as far as you can with your right hand… then blow it out using your left hand…do this 3 times
- Wash your face completely from your forehead to your chin…and from right ear to the left ear…if you have a beard than run your wet fingers through it…3 times
- Wash your right arm…begin at the fingertips…washing your whole hand, arm and elbow…do this 3 times…then wash your left arm in the same order.
- Wipe your head…Start at your fringe …move your hands to the back of your head and then back to the font of your fringe…in one move! This is only done 1 time
- Wipe the inside of both of your ears with your index finger…then the back of your ears you’re your thumb…this is only done 1 time
- Wash the right foot including your ankle…make sure you wash between your toes using your small pinkie finger….this is done 3 times….do the same for your left foot!
- After you are finished you should say
“Ashadu an-la ilaha illallahu, washadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh”
You can also say “Allahuma ijalnee minal tawabeen wa ijal nee minal mutahireen”