Divine blessings on Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is the highest and the most meritorious act in our Deen. This “Divine Blessings” is called Durood Shareef. All the previous Messengers were chosen for specific peoples, but Hazrat Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) holds a distinction in this regard to have been sent for the whole humankind. When Almighty Allah sends Durood and Salaams upon Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam), He is actually blessing him. Allah says:
إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا
“Indeed, Allah and His Angels send blessings upon the Prophet. O you who believe! Send blessings on him and greet him (with) greetings.” (Surah Al-Ahzab, 33: 56)
Muslims hope that, through the blessings of the Durood and Salaams, Almighty Allah will forgive them of their sins and increase their status in this world and in the Aakirah. The Malaa’ikah hope that Almighty Allah will increase their status. The reciter of Durood Shareef will, after some time, come to realize by himself that it is the spontaneous outpouring of his heart before the Great Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) of Islam, whose love and attachment is needed to get all the present-day problems solved and obtain mercy in the next world. Allah says:
وَالَّذِينَ يُؤْذُونَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ بِغَيْرِ مَا اكْتَسَبُوا فَقَدِ احْتَمَلُوا بُهْتَانًا وَإِثْمًا مُّبِينًا
“And those who harm the believing men and the believing women for other than what they have earned, then certainly, they bear false accusation and sin manifest.” (Surah Al-Ahzab, 33:58)
Muslims are very fortunate people. Allah Ta’ala chose for them the name of Islam as a religion, declared to be comprehensive and final for mankind. By reciting Durood Shareef (Salawat) we invite Light and drive away all darkness from our inner soul. Our mind becomes soft and loves saturated. If there is softness in everything, it tends beauty to it. People become ugly owing to lack of this essential beauty of the inner part of the mind. The reciter of Durood-e-Pak is blessed with the proximity of Almighty Allah and His Prophet, May Allah blesses him & grant him peace.
“None of you will have faith till he loves me more than his father, his children, and all mankind.” (Bukhari)
As Muslims, we should recite Durood Shareef in the Arabic language. Islam seeks to create a unified outlook and it is in the Arabic language alone which welds all Muslims into one great brotherhood. It is also the way of fulfilling one`s religious duty of adoring Muhammad (SAW) as Anas (RA) has narrated in Sahih Bukhari:
Benefits of Reciting Durood Sharif
There are many benefits for the one who recites Durood Sharif daily with affection and respect. Recitation of Durood Sharif reflects one’s true love and affection towards the Holy Prophet (SAW). Below we will discuss some benefits of Reciting Durood Sharif with reference to Holy Prophet (SAW) Hadiths.
- Closeness to the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in Jannah: In Hadith Prophet (SAW) said: “On the Day of Judgment the person closest to me will be the one who has sent the most Durood unto me.” (Tirmidhi). There is so much importance of reciting Durood Sharif we should recite Durood Sharif excessively if want to close to Prophet (SAW) in Jannah.
- Closeness to Allah Almighty: Reciting Durood Sharif brings one closer to Allah and Prophet (PBUH). Reciting Durood means we are obeying the commands of Allah Almighty. It is indeed a duty of every Muslim to send blessings to the Holy Prophet (SAW) by reciting Durood Sharif as Allah and his angels do.
- Reciting Durood Sharif on Friday: Holy Prophet (SAW) said: “On Friday, send Durood abundantly to me, as it is presented before me.” (Abu Dawud). For receiving rewards from Allah Almighty we should recite Durood Sharif on Friday.
- Greatest Rewards from Allah Almighty: Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood. Prophet (PBUH) said in Hadith: “Whoever supplicates Allah to exalt for me, Allah would exalt him ten times.”(Muslim)
- Blessings: One who recites Durood Sharif ten times in the morning and ten times in the evening will receive the help of Holy Prophet (PBUH) on the Day of Judgment.
- Acceptance of Supplications: Since Durood Sharif is a source of acceptance of supplications. Allah accepts our all Duas if we recite Durood Sharif on Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
- Solve Problems: If anyone is involved in a difficulty then he must recite Durood Sharif in countless numbers. Also when someone is angry, he should recite Durood Sharif Insha-Allah, Allah will solve all his problems.
- Erase Poverty and Hunger: Reciting Durood Sharif abolish poverty and hunger.
- Remember Forgotten Things: When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it then recite Durood Sharif, you will remember the forgotten things.
- Fulfilment of Desires: Moreover, One who recites Durood Sharif maximum time a day and Allah will accept all his prayers or supplications and fulfill all his Hajats (desires).
In short, Durood Sharif is merely done for asking Allah (SWT) to bestow His Blessings and Mercy on His Messenger (PBUH) in order to show one`s reverence and gratitude for Prophet’s (SAW)services to the Religion of Islam. It not only completes the Prophet`s (PBUH) right of honour but also results in getting many bounties and rewards from Allah Almighty, the Exalted in this world and in the hereafter. May Allah give us the strength to recite Durood Sharif abundantly on Prophet (SAW) so that we can show our love and respect towards Him (SAW), Ameen!