The Holy Qurán is the most widely read book in the history of mankind, a source of immense inspiration, guidance, and wisdom for millions of Muslims all over the world. It is the pivotal point of Imaan, faith, and integral to the foundations of an Islamic society being the basis of its shariah, Islamic legal injunctions, and law. Allah says:
وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُم بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ الْخَوْفِ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَنفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ
“And surely We will test you with something of [the] fear and [the] hunger and loss of [the] wealth and [the] lives and [the] fruits, but give good news (to) the patient ones.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:155)
As such one of the aims of Minhaj-ul-Qurán is to ensure a continuous link remains between the body of the Islamic community, the ummah and its heart, the Holy Qurán. It is a book not just to be read, but to be studied, understood and ultimately revered. Holy Quran is the 4th sacred book of Allah Almighty revealed on our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Quran is the book of guidance not just for Muslims but for all mankind. Allah says:
قَوْلٌ مَّعْرُوفٌ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ خَيْرٌ مِّن صَدَقَةٍ يَتْبَعُهَا أَذًى وَاللَّهُ غَنِيٌّ حَلِيمٌ
“A word kind and (seeking) forgiveness (are) better than a charity followed [it] (by) hurt. And Allah (is) All-Sufficient, All-Forbearing.” (Surah Al-Baqarah, 2:263)
This paper is an attempt to provide an introduction to the Holy Qurán so that Muslims and non-Muslims alike can have an insight into its complexity but also understand its necessity to the Islamic faith and its importance to the Holy Prophet’s (saw) status. Holy Quran is the foundation of Islamic theology and a source of inspiration for everything for Muslims all around the world. Allah says:
وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ وَمَن يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا
“And He will provide for him from where not he thinks. And whoever puts his trust upon Allah, then He (is) sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah (will) accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set for everything a measure.” (Surah At-Talaq, 65:3)
This holy book of Allah Almighty has the wisdom that can change the life of an individual for betterment because it has life-changing lessons through which Muslims can learn and implement in their life. Allah says:
وَقُل لِّعِبَادِي يَقُولُوا الَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ يَنزَغُ بَيْنَهُمْ إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ كَانَ لِلْإِنسَانِ عَدُوًّا مُّبِينًا
“And say to My slaves (to) say that which (is) best. Indeed, the Shaitaan sows discord between them. Indeed, the Shaitaan is to the man an enemy clear.” (Surah Al-Isra, 17:53)
All of us want to live a life full of blessings, happiness, good times and easiness. It is not like that everyone is living a life full of easiness but with all hardships and challenges we all try to make live our life in the best way with all that given by Allah Almighty. Allah says in the Holy Quran:
مَنْ عَمِلَ صَالِحًا مِّن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنثَىٰ وَهُوَ مُؤْمِنٌ فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّهُمْ أَجْرَهُم بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
“Whoever does righteous deeds whether male or female while he (is) a believer, then surely We will give him l a life good, and We will pay them their reward to (the) best of what they used (to) do.” (Surah An-Nahl, 16:97)
Life-Changing Lessons from the Holy Quran
Quran is the book from which you can teach all kinds of lessons from good manners, how to treat others, to healthy eating and all that can benefit others. Let’s discuss some life-changing lessons from this Holy Book of Allah (SWT).
- Do righteous deeds with all mankind Allah loves those and grant great rewards for doing righteous deeds even in this world in the form of “good life.”
- You should be conscious of time and try to use this time to do good deeds, be truthful to one another, be patient, don’t get angry and be quick in forgiveness. In Holy Quran Allah Almighty says about time in these words: “By the time, surely man is in the loss, save those who believe and do good deeds, and enjoin on each other truth, and enjoin on each other patience.” (Quran, 103:1-3)
- Be nice to all people as Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “Worship Allah and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents, kinsfolk orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), the neighbour who is near to kin, the neighbour who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (you meet), and those (slaves) whom your right hands possess. Verily, Allah does not like such as are proud and boastful.” (Quran, 4:36)
- One should be kind in your character as kind words and covering of other faults are better than charity.
- One should rely only on Allah Almighty in all matters of his/her life.
- One should avoid backbiting and don’t waste your time on gossips. The Quran says don’t sow division instead, say what is good and true. That is the path to a good life. Allah Almighty says about gossipers in these words: “And tell My servants to say that which is best. Indeed, Satan induces [dissension] among them. Indeed Satan is ever, to mankind, a clear enemy.” (Quran, 17:53). Allah doesn’t like those who backbite about other fellows.
- One should speak best when talking to someone or should choose the best words when speaking. “And tell My servants to say that which is best. Indeed, Satan induces [dissension] among them. Indeed Satan is ever, to mankind, a clear enemy.” (Quran, 17:53). This ayah of the Holy Quran also tells us that we should be responsible while speaking to others by choosing the best words.
- One should be just to all even if it is against your close relatives.
Recitation, Contemplation, and Action
We believe that the recitation of the Holy Qur’an is the best of worship because it inspires the reciter to think and to contemplate, whereby actions may result.
Allah Almighty says in The Holy Quran:
- “Read you the Holy Quran as much as you can.” (Quran, 73:20)
- “Keep vigil all the night (in prayer) except for a few hours, half the night, more or less; and with measured, and in rhythmic tone recite the Holy Quran.” (Quran, 73:2- 4)
- “And We have indeed made the Holy Qur’an, easy to understand and remember. Then is there anyone who may receive admonition?” (Quran, 54:17)
- “And Holy Quran is a Book which We have revealed as a blessing: So follow it, and be righteous, so that you receive God’s Mercy.” (Quran, 6:158)
- “O you, who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is a sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it.” (Quran, 49:12)
- “And whenever you give your word (i.e. judge between men or give evidence, etc.), say the truth even if a near relative is concerned, and fulfil the Covenant of A1laah, This He commands you that you may remember.” (Quran, 6:152)
- “Do they not contemplate the Qur’an, (so as to catch its meanings) or their hearts are locked up?” (Quran, 47:24)
The Quran contains much wisdom on how to live well, but this is some of the most important of what it has to say. Avoid injustice and unkindness, and your life will be changed for the better. We believe that some mysterious hands have always tried to deviate and swerve Muslims from contemplation and thought over the verses of the Holy Qur’an. Allah make us among those with whom Allah Almighty pleased! Ameen.