Marriage in Islam plays a major role in protecting a Muslim from the sins of adultery, masturbation, and homosexuality. Marriage takes away the possibility of all evils and sins because after marriage a Muslim is supposed to engage himself with a life sharing partner he has married and vice versa. Marriage linguistically means to unite and to bring together. The real literal meaning of marriage is to have sexual intercourse, and the metaphorical meaning of marriage is the bond of marriage. Allah says:
وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا وَمَسَاكِنَ طَيِّبَةً فِي جَنَّاتِ عَدْنٍ وَرِضْوَانٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ ذَٰلِكَ هُوَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ
“Allah has promised the believing men and believing women gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein they will live eternally, and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence, but approval from Allah is greater. That is a great success.” (Surah At-Tawba 9:72)
Allah Almighty created men and women as company for one another, and so that they can become parents and live in peace and calmness according to the commandments of Allah Almighty. Islam emphasizes marriage as it has great importance in Islam with many benefits that one could get from it.
There are some reasons due to which Islam so much Importance on Marriage:
- Marriage makes an incomplete human being a complete
- Marriage is a source to experience love and happiness
- Marriage for giving factors between husband and wife
- Marriage increases sustenance, love, respect, caring
- Marriage guarantees physical and spiritual chastity
- Marriage provides tranquillity, peace, and security
- Marriage is one of the most liked Sunnah in Islam
- Marriage is a sacred bond between two persons
- Marriage is one of the commandments of Allah
- Marriage is protection against a sinful life
- Marriage is one of the classes of Allah
- Marriage Appreciating the Spouse
- Marriage is a religious command
- Marriage has righteous offspring
- Marriage is a bond of love
- Marriage Extend human life
- Marriage Balancing the Relation
- Marriage Cherishing Every Moment
- Marriage away from the act of adultery
- Marriage treating the wife with respect
- Marriage being thankful for little things
- Marriage a good woman for a good man
- Marriage is necessary for making a family
- Marriage Ignoring the flaws of your spouse
- Marriage finding tranquillity from the spouse
- Marriage Caring about Feelings of the Spouse
- Marriage know each other and help each other
- Marriage loving the Spouse for the Sake of Allah
- Marriage means you are obeying the Prophet (SAW)
- Marriage showing affection and mercy towards the spouse
There are some reasons due to which Islam so much emphasized on Marriage which we have listed below:
- Marriage makes an incomplete human being a complete one, our Prophet Muhammad (SAW)says, “No house has been built in Islam more beloved in the sight of Allah than through marriage”
- It is necessary for making a family (for children)
- Marriage is one of the most liked Sunnah in Islam as our beloved Prophet (SAW) married and also encouraged others
- It provides tranquillity, peace, and security
- It is a bond of love not just only between two persons but between two families
- It is a source to experience love and happiness
وَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ شِقَاقَ بَيْنِهِمَا فَابْعَثُوا حَكَمًا مِّنْ أَهْلِهِ وَحَكَمًا مِّنْ أَهْلِهَا إِن يُرِيدَا إِصْلَاحًا يُوَفِّقِ اللَّهُ بَيْنَهُمَا إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيمًا خَبِيرًا
“And if you fear dissension between (the) two of then send an arbitrator from his family and an arbitrator from her family. If they both wish reconciliation, Allah will cause reconciliation between both of them. Indeed, Allah is All-Knower, All-Aware.” (Surah An-Nisa, 4:35)
Benefits of marriage are the following:
- Obeying the Prophet (PBUH) and carrying out his Sunnah, because the Prophet (PBUH) said: “O young people! Whoever among you is able to marry, should marry.” (Al-Bukhari 5065).
- Marriage guarantees physical and spiritual chastity and peace of a person and keeps the couple away from the pitfalls and temptations of Satan. Chastity is one of the praise-worthy attributes of the believers as Allah (SWT) mentioned it in the following verse: “And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts).” (Al-Muminun 23:5).
- Through marriage, the couples achieve mutual affection, mercy, and love. Allah (SWT) says: “And He has put between you affection and mercy.” (Ar-Rum 30:21).
- Through marriage, the couple will have righteous offspring. It is the survival of generation and it results in obtaining great and good rewards by having righteous children. Having righteous children or upbringing them on the principle of the Islamic Shariah may, however, be considered among the best form of charity as the Prophet (PBUH) said: “When a person dies his deeds discontinue, except for three things: Ongoing charity, knowledge which people benefit from, and a righteous son who prays for him.” (Muslim 1631).
- Marriage is the mean of receiving great rewards for both couples through spending on their children, guarding their chastity, helping them in their problems, protecting them from harms and difficulties and treating them with kindness as the Prophet (PBUH) said: “No man earns anything better than that which he earns with his own hands, and what a man spends on himself, his wife, his child and his servant then it is charity.” (Ibn Majah 2138).
- The couples also will gain good rewards through having children, upbringing them in accordance with the Islamic teachings, being patient while educating them and making them ones who will call others to the true religion of Islam.
- Through marriage Allah (SWT) will enrich the couples and will bless their livelihood. Allah (SWT) says: “And marry those among you who are single (i.e. a man who has no wife and the woman who has no husband) and (also marry) the Salihun (pious, fit and capable ones) of your (male) slaves and maid-servants (female slaves). If they are poor, Allah will enrich them out of His Bounty. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knowing (about the state of the people).” (An-Nur 24:32).
- By marrying and fulfilling the rights of the husband, the believing woman will enter Paradise.
- By having righteous children, the couples will receive good and great rewards in this world and after their death, because righteous children are an ongoing charity.
- A righteous wife is the better provision of this world. The Prophet (PBUH) said: “This world is but the provision, and there is no provision in this world better than a righteous wife.” (Muslim 1469).
Islam defined matters that contain good benefits both in this world and in the Hereafter and among the greatest benefits of marriage are listed below:
- By getting married you are obeying the Prophet (SAW) and his Sunnah because our beloved Prophet (PBUH) said: “O young people! Whoever among you is able to marry, should marry.” (Al Bukhari)
- Marriage guarantees physical and spiritual chastity and peace of a person and keeps the couple away from the downfall and trap of Satan. Allah SWT mentioned in verse about chastity: “And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts).” (Quran, 23:5).
- Through marriage, the couples achieve mutual affection, mercy, and love. Allah (SWT) says: “And He has put between you affection and mercy.” (Quran, 30:21)
- With marriage, the couple will have righteous offspring. It is the survival of generation and it results in obtaining great and good rewards by having righteous children
- The couples will also gain good rewards while having children, upbringing them in accordance with the Islamic teachings. “And indeed We sent Messengers before you (O Muhammad SAW), and made for them wives and offspring” (Ar-Rad 13:38)
- By marrying and fulfilling the rights of the husband, the believing woman will enter into Paradise
- A righteous wife is the better provision of this world. The Prophet (PBUH) said: “This world is but the provision, and there is no provision in this world better than a righteous wife.”(Muslim)
- Marriage increases sustenance, love, respect, caring, selflessness and forgiving factors between husband and wife
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ أَنْ خَلَقَ لَكُم مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا لِّتَسْكُنُوا إِلَيْهَا وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَكُم مَّوَدَّةً وَرَحْمَةً إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِّقَوْمٍ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ
“And among His signs is this that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your hearts. Undoubtedly in these are signs for those who reflect.”(Surah Ar-Rum, 30:21)
The righteous wife is a great favour because she proves to be a good advisor in worldly matters; she is a good life partner and she assists her husband in matters of the Hereafter; thus both achieve high ranks. On the other hand, the righteous husband is a great favour for the wife too. The greatest benefit of marriage is protection against a sinful life and the fulfilment of sexual desire through lawful means.