Islam is the response to humanity’s search for meaning. The purpose of creation for all men and women for all times has been one. Muslims believe that Allah is the only creator of this world and all other things which are present in this world. A true Muslim believes in this fact and knows about the momentary nature of worldly life. Allah says:
وَقَالُوا مَا هِيَ إِلَّا حَيَاتُنَا الدُّنْيَا نَمُوتُ وَنَحْيَا وَمَا يُهْلِكُنَا إِلَّا الدَّهْرُ وَمَا لَهُم بِذَٰلِكَ مِنْ عِلْمٍ إِنْ هُمْ إِلَّا يَظُنُّونَ
“And they say, “Not it (is) but our life (of) the world, we die and we live, and not destroys us except the time.” And not for them of that any knowledge; not, they (do) but guess.” (Surah Al-Jathiyah 45:24)
Islam is a complete and practical way of life that teaches Muslims to be balanced, decent and contributing members of society. The purpose of life is to live mindfully and passionately in the present moment, to love unabashedly, to be a lifelong learner, to seek adventure and growth, and to spread kindness and peace along the way. Allah says:
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُعْجِبُكَ قَوْلُهُ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَيُشْهِدُ اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا فِي قَلْبِهِ وَهُوَ أَلَدُّ الْخِصَامِ
“And of the people (is the one) who pleases you (with) his speech in the life (of) the world, and he calls to witness Allah on what (is) in his heart, and he (is) the most quarrelsome (of) opponents.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:204)
We believe that there is only One Creator Who created us and we acknowledged Him, we all know that He created us (humankind) to serve Him. Now the question comes to mind that How we can serve Him? There is a reason behind the creation of this world and humankind.
Here are some reasons for Human Life in Islam:
- The purpose of life is to have a variety of experiences
- The purpose of life means to know where you stand
- The purpose of life is to make a positive difference
- The purpose of life is to create your meaning
- The purpose of life is to leave a legacy
- The purpose of life is to love others
- The purpose of life is to be happy
- God has made sacred all human
- Islam has the infinite value for all
- Islam has the sanctity of human life
- Islam considers all life forms as sacred
- Islam has the dignity of all human being
- Islam commands love, mercy, and peace
- Life is to believe everything is from God
- Life here is considered as an examination
- Islam forbids to hateful words and actions
- Islam establish peace and justice in society
- Islam enjoins upon its believers in purifying
- Islam has no schisms between human beings
- Glorious Quran condemns the killing of people
- Islam is misunderstood including some Muslims
- Life focuses on what is in your control & try best
- Life seems to be a healing agent to human suffering
- Islam’s teaching shows that all innocent life is sacred
- Islam is a way of life that transcends race and ethnicity
We as a Muslim have a clear perception in our mind that the creation o this world and humankind is to praise and worship of our Creator. Islam addresses the reason of what and why of human existence. The point of view that Islam gives refers to human existence is quite different from other religions wherein some there is no purpose for human existence, or if there is any, it is beyond human intelligence.
That’s why Muslims must find their life purpose by turning to the Quran:
For Muslims, the purpose of life lies in the Qur’an. It is the only guidance that will help them to lead a meaningful life. A faithful Muslim believes that the Qur’an carries a universal truth inside it.
- Life is a Test: The purpose of life according to Islam and the Quran is in the surah of Al-Mulk (67:2) in the Qur’an which states that “He who created death and life to test you as to which of you is best in deed-and He is the Almighty, the Oft-Forgiving”. While living, humans are going to be continuously tested through numerous trials and tribulations. They will all find their way into humans’ lives.
- Life is Momentary: The life that is currently lived on this earth will not last forever. It is only a momentary thing. As stated in the surah of Al-Mu’Min (40:39)
- Life in Heaven Will be Better: As mentioned in the Qur’an through the surah Ad-Duhaa (93:4) “And the Hereafter is better for you than the first life”.
- Dutiful Worship: Another purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is for Muslims to always remember Allah. This can be done by carrying out all the dutiful worship.
- Deeply Study Islam: Not only are Muslims required to carry out the necessary duties according to Islam, but they must also study religion as a whole.
- Live According to the Rules of Islam: When a Muslim is willing to dedicate oneself to Allah, then they must live according to the rules of Islam. For instance, a Muslim child must understand that it’s a good thing to make their parents happy and proud.
- Life Motivation: If a Muslim doesn’t know what their life goal is then they could lose the motivation to carry on with life. They might potentially waste their years or live for the wrong reasons.
- Live Life in Kindness: This particular purpose of life according to Islam and the Qur’an is related to being kind. In Islam, the bad and unkind people will go to hell.
Purposes of Life According to The Holy Quran:
- “I have not created men except that they should serve Me.” (Quran, 51:56)
- “If anyone desires a reward in this life, in Allah.s (gift) is the reward (both) of this life and the hereafter: for Allah is He that heareth and seeth (all things).” (Surah An-Nisa, 134)
- “Those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, but are pleased and satisfied with the life of the present, and those who heed not Our Signs.” (Surah Yunus, 7)
- “Many were the Ways of life that have passed away before you: travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who rejected Truth.” (Surah Al-Imran, 137)
- “For them is a penalty in the life of this world, but harder, truly, is the penalty of the Hereafter: and defender have they none against Allah.” (Surah Ar-Rad, 34)
- “It is He Who gave you life, then He shall make you dead, then He shall give you life.” (Al-Hajj,22:66)
All human beings will die, the ultimate goal of life in this world is the eventual meeting with the Creator in the hereafter. What one has to do is to believe in God and follow His commands in doing righteousness. He didn’t create anything without purpose everything is created due to some reason and have some purpose in life. Allah says:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اسْتَجِيبُوا لِلَّهِ وَلِلرَّسُولِ إِذَا دَعَاكُمْ لِمَا يُحْيِيكُمْ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ يَحُولُ بَيْنَ الْمَرْءِ وَقَلْبِهِ وَأَنَّهُ إِلَيْهِ تُحْشَرُونَ
“O you who believe! Respond to Allah and His Messenger when he calls you to what gives you life. And know that Allah comes (in) between a man and his heart and that to Him you will be gathered.” (Surah Al-Anfal 8:24)
Muslims must always remain faithful by living by Islam and the Quran. Allah creates humankind to carry out worship and other duties that one must always obey. They are Muslims’ way of showing gratitude to Allah for creating them. A Muslim has to be genuine and kind-hearted while living on this earth so that life in heaven will be better. Allah says:
وَأَنْ أَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا وَلَا تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ
“And that, “Direct your face to the religion upright, and (do) not be of the polytheists.” (Surah Yunus 10:105)
Allah has guided people to the purpose of life that is worshipping Him and seeking His pleasure. The Holy Quran in this regard is one of the best ways of knowing how a person can fulfil this purpose of pleasing Allah and give meaning to his or her life. The main reason for our creation is worship. We should fulfil this purpose of our life by following Allah’s commands given in the Quran.